Game of Thrones Season 3 Release Party
It was an extravagant evening fit for a King (or Queen). HBO Canada launched the Blu-ray release of the third season of Game of Thrones for exclusive media representatives in the stunning Berkeley Church this past Tuesday night. Upon entering the beautiful and historic venue, guests were serenaded by a lovely duo of string players (who thankfully replaced the doomed notes of “The Rains of Castamere” with the likes of Beatles and Leonard Cohen covers).
It wasn’t long, however, before guests started politely lining up to take their pictures sitting on the magnificent Iron Throne, a replica of which was brought in specifically for the Red Wedding-themed event. Fans of the show were also delighted to get photographs taken with men in full White Walker make-up and costumes, while others sipped on delicious cocktails, the names of which were coined for the powerful warring families on the popular show.
During the sumptuous dinner that followed, guests were treated to jaw-dropping entertaining spectacles, which included flame dancing and aerial acrobatics with a Khaleesi theme. The piece de resistance was the delightful Q&A conducted by eTalk’s Devon Soltendieck, featuring Game of Thrones actors Isaac Hempstead and Kristian Nairn (jokingly introduced as “the least intimidating seven foot person you’ll ever meet”). The following are a few highlights from the winsome Q&A:
• Both actors admitted to having never read the books.
• Isaac (who portrays Bran Stark on the show) said that his favourite character is Joffrey, which was immediately met with a chorus of boos from the audience.
• In talking about the casting process, Kristian (who portrays fan favourite Hodor on the show) joked that “they ask for beer guzzlers and dirty fingernails, and that’s just for the ladies.”
• Isaac said that he was only ten years old when they shot the pilot of the show, but it still felt like a “nerd’s paradise.”
• Both actors admitted that their roles presented great physical and mental challenges, but they both loved the experience immensely.
Game of Thrones: the complete third season is now available to own in a Blu-ray/DVD combo package. Season four will premiere on HBO on April 6th, 2014.